PayPalDonateButton

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Holidays and Vandwelling

To the rest of the United States, it's Thanksgiving. It's just another Thursday to me. Several places are offering a free turkey dinner.

Many people suffer from depression or emotions on holidays. A couple of years ago I sat down and thought about this.

Quite a few of the secular holidays are based in the Christian religion. Valentine's day...actually a day to celebrate St. Valentine. Easter, a religious day along with good Friday and Mardi Gras. In fact, except for Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and  Independence Day, I think all the holidays we celebrate are Christian based. Even Halloween is based on a religious holiday...hallowed eve, the evening before All Saints Day.

I'm not anti Christian, anymore than I'm anti Jewish or anti any religious group. So, since I don't make a big deal about celebrating the Jewish holidays (I'm not Jewish) why should I feel the need to celebrate the Christian ones?

Why do I feel a need to celebrate Christmas any more than the other religious holidays at that time of year. That makes no sense to me.

Once I did some research and looked at the reason these holidays came into existence, I stopped feeling deprived, lonely, or left out. I decided for me that I'd enjoy relaxing and letting others celebrate their holidays any way they wished. I even wish them happy turkey day or Merry Christmas.

I enjoy just having a quiet day to myself while the rest of the world is preoccupied with their holidays and celebrations. Most people don't even notice I'm not celebrating the day.

I'll enjoy a turkey dinner today. Why not. I enjoy the foods traditionally associated with Autumn. I love sweet potatoes any time of the year. Pumpkin is another favorite. I'm not much on cranberry sauce anytime of the year...unless I'm using it to bake into a meat or enjoying a muffin.

The rest of the day will be spent pretty much as normal. A little cleaning, a lot of rest (I'm still recovering from a nasty  coldŷ flu), some reading, watching some videos. And I need to sort out laundry, getting it ready for a laundromat trip. I really hate doing laundry but it has to be done.

Today, as every day, enjoy family, the weather, your fur family, and friends.

Good Coffee To You

See ya down the road
Lou

Support this blog
Donate a $1 PayPal.me/LouBurgess/1
Or contribute more PayPal.me/LouBurgess




No comments:

Post a Comment