PayPalDonateButton

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Technology Has It's Moments

Today was an Attack or Revenge Of The Computers kind of day.

It all started out so innocently. No one could forecast how fast it would snowball. I almost wonder if the amount of technology had enough critical mass today to awake and become self aware.

All I wanted to do was transfer my completed first drafts of children's books I am writing from my netbook to my laptop. It's a simple process that we all do routinely.

Usually the process goes very smoothly. Today was quite an exception.

The first was barely a blip on my personal radar. Google+ implemented changes that threw many users into one of two categories. People either experienced severe what-the-heck-did-they-do-wheres-my trauma reactions or OH COOL PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS giddiness. No problem here, I have writing to do, I'll see what G+ did later when it settles down.

Next, my broadband informed me I needed to download an update. Still no real reason to worry, it's a routine matter, or so I thought.

Now comes the notice "Don't Unplug or Shutdown Your Computer. Doing so could cause permanent damage to your firmware." Arggggghhh! I make sure my cord is secure from puppy who chews any cord available.

I get the update installed. It's now time for coffee. I click shutdown the computer. My normally polite well behaved toshiba has decided to download and install eight critical updates for Windows. It is time to install the Linux I've been using from a jump drive. Just not today.

All that being said, instead of pushing on in a day where every piece of technology I have decided to revolt all at one time, I pushed the power button off. I hooked them all up to charge.

There is something to be said for a low tech day. I enjoyed cuddling my dogs, a cold Pepsi, and a good paperback.

In the back of my mind, I wonder, how many electrons do they need to become self aware? Are they haunted by old Commadore64 and TRS80 hard drives? I do keep interfacing lots of devices. Could they strike on me?

Not really, but it was in the cards to turn them all off for a day.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment