PayPalDonateButton

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sleeping Warmly In A Blizzard

The weather decided to drop a foot and a half of snow on me in less than two days. My propane heater is currently not working. So...how do I sleep comfortably even under these conditions?
Let's start with an old fashioned item, a sleeping cap. While mine is not the old long hanging come we see in photos and illustrations, it serves it's purpose, to help me stay warm. A fleece masked hat keeps my head warm. That makes a huge difference.
Trick number two is clean, dry socks. They make a big difference. I use synthetic ones, much warmer.
Making up my bed is crucial. The types of blankets used and how they are layered. Don't forget to put something underneath you. I use my heavy sleeping bag as the first layer. Over that is a nylon child's sleeping bag. Next comes a polyester microfiber blanket. I'm the next layer, covered with another plush microfiber blanket..an older cotton flannel blanket over that, topped by a flannel quilt and a thick comforter. On top of all that, I like on the several long wool coats I have.
My final ingredient to staying warm is to stuff my two small dogs into the covers with me. A fleece blanket is used to loosely cover my face area.
I'm snug as a bug in my bed, almost like creating a blanket cocoon around me.
This has been good so far in temperatures where the wind chill is hitting minus 20 as it is tonight.
I'm curled up in bed, with two sleeping pups, watching videos on my cell phone.
Happy trails to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment